Encourage the kids to enjoy the garden and explore nature on your doorstep this half-term.
Gardening provides a range of benefits to children, from encouraging them to get active in the fresh air, learning about the natural environment and boosting their well-being and self esteem. We’ve got a host of autumnal activities to keep little ones busy.
Activities to keep kids busy in the garden
1. Plant a Pot
Autumn is the perfect time to plant up your pots and containers, and it’s a wonderful activity to involve the kids in too.
- Now is the time to plant your bulbs ready for spring, your kids will love the vibrant colours as they start to emerge after the winter!
- Why not ‘grow your own’ and plant a variety of garlic bulbs or onion sets, and plan your tasty meals for when they are ready to be picked next year.
- Ask your kids to help you plant their very own fruit tree, now is the time for planting potted trees from apples to plums and blueberries to strawberries!
We’ve got new ranges of pots and plants in store, and are on hand for any advice that you might need to pick the best products for your garden.
Visit our page showing ‘how-to’ guides on planting bulbs, trees and much more to help you create the perfect display for your garden!Click here for ‘how-to’ guides
Explore the outdoors on your doorstep!
There are many places on your doorstep to explore this autumn and enjoy this colourful season. Try somewhere new this half-term, take a look at our suggestions below:
- Larbert Woods – various trails to explore, weaving through trees and a picturesque loch
- Callendar Park and Wood – perfect location to spot wildlife, trails for all abilities
- Kinneil Foreshore – great for spotting a range of wildlife, particularly birds
- The Pineapple – lots of ground to explore with little ones, and a range of exotic trees, some over 150 years old!
- Westquarter Glen – a lovely wooded trail, easily accessible and great for younger children
- Carron Glen – a wildlife haven, perfect for viewing autumnal colours throughout the woods
- Plean Country Park – various nature trails for all abilities and large playpark for kids to explore